The steps to cover a new programming language are:
- Write the grammar. This is the hardest part.
- Write a parser (a parser simply parses an input based on your grammar to yield a parse tree).
- Test your grammar, to ensure it is able to parse real-life language files.
- Write a few parse tree visitors. Some visitors will compute metrics, while others will enforce coding rules. A dozen or so visitors is sufficient for an initial release.
- Write a scanner Sensor, in a SonarQube plugin, to launch the visitors.
- raw measures
- code duplications
- syntax highlighting
- symbol table
- coverage information (lines/branches to cover, line/branch hits)