See https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/SONAR/Documentation for current functionality
A Background Task can be:
- the import of an Analysis Report
- the execution of the computation of Views
Note that analysis is not complete until the relevant Background Task has been completed. Even though the SonarQube Scanner's log shows
EXECUTION SUCCESS, the analysis results will not be visible in the SonarQube project until after the Background Task has been completed.
After a SonarQube Scanner has finished analyzing your code, the result of the analysis (Sources, Issues, Metrics) - the Analysis Report - is sent to SonarQube Server for final processing by the Compute Engine.
Those Analysis Reports are queued and processed serially. You can control the number of Analysis Reports that can be processed at a time in $SQ_HOME/conf/sonar.properties (see sonar.ce.workerCount - Default is 1).
Administrators can view the current queue at Administration > Projects > Background Tasks.
You can filter Background Tasks according to their Status: Pending, Success, Failed or Canceled
The "Only Latest Analysis" button will filter the Background Tasks by showing only the last import for each project.
You can also filter Background Tasks according to the starting date of import.
At the top of the page, are there are two to three counters:
- pending - shows the number of Analysis Reports queued and waiting to be processed.
- failures shows the number of projects where the processing of a project's most recent analysis report failed.
- the third counter is only present during the processing of an analysis report. It shows the duration-to-date of the task currently being processed.
At the Project level, when there is a pending Analysis Report waiting to be consumed, you have a "Pending" notification in the header.
The Background Task being processing is marked with a rolling "wait" icon:
You can cancel the handling of a task by clicking :
- on the red 'x' available on each line of a pending task
- on the red "bulk cancel" option next to the pending jobs count. This button cancels all pending tasks.
For each Analysis Report you have a dropdown menu allowing you to access to the "Scanner Context" showing you the configuration of the Scanner at the moment when the code scan has been run.
In case of failure, you will have another option available on this dropdown menu : "Show Error Details", to get the technical details why the processing of the Background Task failed.
The Background Tasks page allows you also to follow other task executions such as, for example, Views Computation triggered by the Governance Plugin.