Although the basics of the i18n mechanism are the same for every part of the ecosystem, the packaging differs depending on what you are developing:
if you want to apply this mechanism to the Sonar core platform or to a plugin:
- Making Translations for the Sonar core platform Core Platform: making the Sonar Core Platform available in a new language requires to develop and publish a new Language Pack plugin.
- By default Sonar embeds the English Pack.
- All other Language Pack plugins
- (like the French Pack plugin
- ) are hosted in the
- Plugins Forge (https://svn.codehaus.org/sonar-plugins/trunk/l10n/), are maintained by the community and are available through Update Center (category "Localization").
- This is different for plugins, each plugin is in charge to embed its own translations. Of course supporting i18n mechanism is not mandatory for a plugin but in that case it will only be available in the default implemented languageTranslations for the Sonar Community Plugins: open-source plugins of the Sonar Community (hosted in the Plugins Forge) must embed only the bundles for the default locale. Translations will be done in the Language Pack plugins.
- Translations for other Plugins: closed-source/commercial/independant plugins must embed the bundles for the default locale and the translations for every language they want to support.