After one of the SonarQube Scanners finished to analyze your code, results of this analysis (Sources, Issues, Metrics) called the Analysis Report is sent to SonarQube Server for further processing. Those Analysis Reports are queued and processed serially.
Administrators can view the current queue at Administration > Projects > Background Tasks.
You can filter Background Tasks according to their state: Success, Failed or Canceled
The "Only Latest Analysis" button will filter the Background Tasks by showing only the last import for each project.
You can also filter Background Tasks according to the starting date of import :
- "Today" will show only the import the Analysis Reports of the day
- "Any Date" will remove the filter on the Start Date
- "Custom" will allow you to choose a period of time
On the top of the page, you have 2 counters showing the number of Analysis Report not processed (ie: pending or failed):
- the first counter show the number of Analysis Report waiting to be processed (pending) knowing that there is only 1 Analysis Report that can be processed at the same time
- the second counter shows the number of failed imports.
At Project Dashboard level, when there is a pending Analysis Report waiting to be consumed, you have this:
The Background Task under processing is marked with a rolling icon and you can see the current time it's taking to process it :
For each Analysis Report under process, failed or successfully imported, you can view the logs of the import by clicking on the "Logs" link you have on each row.
By default, you will see in the logs of the Analysis Report import :
- Active plugins and their versions at the moment where you run the analysis
- Effective SonarQube properties used to run the analysis. It's basically the content of the sonar-project.properties if you are analysing with SonarQube Scanner.
- Details about the import of the report
If you want to see more information, you need to set sonar.verbose=true to activate the DEBUG mode when running your analysis. See Analysis Parameters Analysis Logging for more details.
Logs are kept for six months, and that period is not configurable. This is likely to change in future versions.
You can tune the number of tasks to keep logs for a given project in General > General > Compute Engine Log Retention. The default value is 10.
Execution logs of Background Tasks are stored here SONARQUBE_HOME/data/ce/logs/REPORT
Note that Code Scanning is not complete until the Background Tasks has been processed. Even though the SonarQube Scanner's log shows
EXECUTION SUCCESS, the analysis results will not be visible in the SonarQube project until after the processing of the Background Task has been completed.
The Background Tasks page allows you also to follow other task executions such as, for example, Views Computation triggered by the Views Plugin.