A Background Task can be:
- the import of an Analysis Report
- the execution of the computation of Views
After one of the SonarQube Scanners finished to analyze your code, results of this analysis (Sources, Issues, Metrics) called the Analysis Report is sent to SonarQube Server for further processing. Those Analysis Reports are queued and processed serially.
Administrators can view the current queue at Administration > Projects > Background Tasks.
You can filter Background Tasks according to their state: Success, Failed or Canceled
The "Only Latest Analysis" button will filter the Background Tasks by showing only the last import for each project.
You can also filter Background Tasks according to the starting date of import :
- "Today" will show only the import the Analysis Reports of the day
- "Any Date" will remove the filter on the Start Date
- "Custom" will allow you to choose a period of time
On the top of the page, you have 2 counters showing the number of Analysis Reports not processed (ie: pending or failed):
- the first counter shows the number of Analysis Reports waiting to be processed (pending). Only one Analysis Report can be processed at a time.
- the second counter shows the number of projects where the processing of the most recent analysis report failed.
At the Project Dashboard level, when there is a pending Analysis Report waiting to be consumed, you have a notification in the header:
The Background Task being processing is marked with a rolling "wait" icon, and you can see the current duration:
You can cancel the handling of a task by clicking :
- on the red cross available on each line of a pending task
- or directly cancel all pending tasks in bulk by clicking on the red cross you have before the filter criteria.
For each Analysis Report in process, failed or successfully imported, you can view the logs of the import by clicking on the "Logs" link on the row.
By default, you will see in the logs of the Analysis Report import :
- Active plugins and their versions at the moment where you ran the analysis
- Effective SonarQube properties used to run the analysis. It's basically the content of sonar-project.properties if you are analyzing with SonarQube Scanner.
- Details about the import of the report
If you want more information, you need to set
sonar.verbose=true to activate the DEBUG mode when running your analysis. See Analysis Parameters Analysis Logging for more details.
Logs are kept for six months, and that period is not configurable. This is likely to change in future versions.
You can tune the number of tasks to keep logs for a given project in General > General > Compute Engine Log Retention. The default value is 10.
Execution logs of Background Tasks are stored here SONARQUBE_HOME/data/ce/logs/REPORT
Note that Code Scanning is not complete until the relevant Background Task has been completed. Even though the SonarQube Scanner's log shows
EXECUTION SUCCESS, the analysis results will not be visible in the SonarQube project until after the Background Task has been completed.
The Background Tasks page allows you also to follow other task executions such as, for example, Views Computation triggered by the Views Plugin.